“Ahh the gluten free chocolate mud cake - Jay made that one and won my heart. He made it for our wedding cake, so it’s pretty special and everyone loves it.”
- Sharan Rivett
- 300g chocolate
- 250g butter
- 6 egg yolks
- 120g pumpkin seed flour (or any Australian Pumpkin Seed Company nut flour)
- 175g sugar
- 5g muscat (or port)
- 6 egg whites
- 75g sugar
- Prepare cake tins, turn oven on to 150ºc.
- Melt Chocolate and butter in a double boiler then let cool to a warm temperature.
- Combine egg yolks, 175g sugar and seed or nut flour, then add to cooled chocolate butter, mix. At this point add the muscat.
- Whisk egg whites to soft peak and add 75g sugar.
- Fold whites into the chocolate mix gently.
- Scale batter into tins and bake for around 120 minutes at 150ºC. Check cake with a knife - when clean it is ready. (The cake may need to cook longer if you use a different size tin, just make sure the testing knife comes out clean and it will be ready).
- Cool cake in the pans for ten minutes then unmould onto sheet dusted with icing sugar.
- For an 8" round tin approx. 120min baking time.
Hungry for more?
With Summer in full swing, let’s open up our minds, and palates, to these interesting beer styles.